Minutes recorded by:
Damaris Solis Padilla

CSS/PA Minutes of October 7, 2008

Families represented: See file
Familias representadfas: Vea el archivo
Teachers present: Monica Marin, Parent Coordinator
Maestros presente: Monica Marin, Coordinadora de Padres

Approval of Minutes
The minutes of the CSS/ PA for May 6,2008 were approved.

Aprobación de los minutos
Los minutos del 6 del mayo, 2008 fueron aprobados.

Financial Report
Victor Acosta,treasurer, reported that at present there is $3309.84 in the PA bank account.
A discussion was had about the need to buy a safe with a drop box for the PA. A motion was approved unanimously to purchase safe with a drop box for the PA. Victor said that he needed the assistance of a financial secretary. Tina Glover volunteered to be financial secretary throuh the end of the year.
Reporte de Financias
Victor Acosta, tesorero, reporto que al presente hay $3309.84 en la cuenta bancaria del PA. Hubo una discusión sobre la necesidad que hay de comprar un caja fuerte para el PA. Se aprobo una moción para comprar la caja fuerte para el PA. Victor dijo que necesita la ayuda de una secretaria financiera. Tina Glover estuvo de acuerdo con ser seretaria de finacias hasta el fin del año.

Afterschool Program
The aferschool program run by the PA and supervised by Dr. Maldonado, CSS principal, is up and running.The purpose of the afterschool is to provide a proper homework environment. A parent suggested that the students also use tutor.com, a free service from the public library and that a library rep be brought in to register the kids. Afterschool is from 4:00 p.m. until 5:45 p.m. The cost is $5.00 per session.The persons supervising the kids are hired on a first-come first-served basis. In September,the afterschool took in $335.00 and paid out $400 (a $65.00 defecit). Dr. Maldonado anticipates a surge in enrollment once the grades come out. The afterschool has tried to offer some exciting programs like circus arts but very few students enrolled. It seems families are more interested in academic offerings. A parent suggseted that Chinese language instruction be offered in the afterschool. The members present liked that idea. It was stated that the Chinese langauage instruction could be capped at 15 students and run in cycles. Another parent suggested that the afterschool be also used to complete the required math proficiencies. Miriam said profesor Nalley would have to somehow oversee that. Miriam will ask Professor Nalley how much time is needed for these. The PA can suggest to Professor Nalley that the afterschool be used as a place to complete the proficiencies. Logistics can be settled later. The robotics program is not part of the afterschool. It’s a separate program. Parents with questions about the robotics program should contact Professor Stillman.

Programa de Afterschool
Ya esta en marcha el programa de afterschool del PA supervisado por Dr. Maldonado, principal de CSS. El proposito del afterschool es proveer un ambiente proprio para hacer la tarea.Uno de los padres presente sugerio que los estudiantes también usen tutor.com, un servicio gratis de la biblioteca pública y que se deberia invitar un representante de la biblioteca para inscribir a los estudiantes. Los que supervisan el program estan contratados de acuerdo de la orden en que aplican para trabajar.

501 (3) (c) status– This is still pending.
Status 501 (3) (c)– Esta pendiente.

Dances/Field Trips/Teacher e-mail/Open House/Discipline
Parents expressed their concerns about the student dances and how they could be made safer.There is a need for better coordination regarding the chaperones and the assignning of specific responsibilities,etc so as to eliminate any possible chaos and ensure that these dances can be safer and run smoothly. Parents who want to be chaperones for the dances could meet with Professor Jones and the student government to work on these issues. There should also be sufficient chaperones on trips for the same reasons. Some parents also had concerns about teacher response to e-mail. Monica stated she would set up a meeting with teachers and parents about the American Museum of Natural History trip. Parents expressed the need for more events to build community. Other parents had questions about homework detention and think sheets, and about students’ grades going down.

Bailes/Viajes/E-mail/ Open House/Disciplina
Los padres hablaron de sus preocupaciones sobres los bailes y como estos pudieran ser mas seguros. Se necesita mejor coordinación entre los chaperones y la asignación de responsibilidades, etc. para eliminar chaos y a segurar que los bailes sean mas seguros y que no haiga problemas. Los padres que esten interesados en ser chaperones para los bailes podrian hablar con el Profesor Jones y el gobierno estudiantil para hablar sobre estos temas. Deberian haber suficientes chaperones para los viajes tambien por las mismas razones.Algunos padres tambien tenian preguntas sobre el tiempo que toman los maestros en responder a e-mail. Monica dijo que organizaria una reunión con los padres y maestros sobre el viaje al Museo de Historia Natural. Los padres también expesaron que seria bueno tener mas eventos para contruir comunidad. Otros padres tenian preguntas sobre “homework detention” “Think sheets” ylos gardos que han bajado.

Hall Parents–Heidi Jackson has agreed to be hall parent organizer. She said if a parent wants to volunteer to be a hall parent, they should contact her.

Padres de Casa– Heidi Jackson acordo ser organizadora de los padres de casa. Ella dijo que si un padre quiere ser padre de casa deben decirselo a ella.

PS 125 Parent Association– The president and secretary of the P.S. ? Presidents Association introduced themselves and invited CSS to their meetings.They would also like to meet with all three schools to plan school-wide events.

Asociación de padres de PS 125– La presidenta y la secretaria de la Associación de Padres de PS 125 se presentaron y invitaron a CSS a sus reuniones .A ellas le gustaria que hubiese una reunión para planear un evento con las tres escuelas.

Greeting Card Fundraiser–Every parent should have received a packet in the mail by now. If each family sells just 5 packs of cards this would raise 16,000.

Venta de tarjetas para recaudar fondos—- Ya todos los padres habran recibidos un paquete por correo sobre la venta de tarjetas. Si cada familia vende 5 paquetes podemos recaudar $16,000 dolares.

Book Swap– Sandra Echols agreed to organize a book swap, book. Books can also be donated to the CSS library. Currently, the library works on an honor system.

Intercambio de Libros– Sandra Echols acordo organizar un intercambio de libros. Libros tambien pueden ser donados a la bibloteca de CSS. al presente la biblioteca opera por sistema de honor.

Thereafter the meeting was adjourned.
Despues se termino la reunión.