Columbia Secondary School ● Parent-Teacher Association
Minutes: December General Membership Meeting
Thursday, 12/12/13, 5:30 PM; CSS Library, 3rd floor
|Daisy Farina, Co-President||Sean Stanton, Treasurer|
|E. Mark Lewis, Co-President||Richard Rubin, Communications VP|
|Vickie Harcum, Fundraising Co-VP||Kristin Penegor, Recording Secretary|
|Melissa Welsh, Fundraising Co-VP|
I. Welcome and Minutes Review
- Add: issue was reported by a parent; something stolen from locker; Miriam is handling.
- Amended minutes approved.
II. Principal Nightengale
- Brief appearance due to Science Night
- Early college acceptances are coming in; an exciting and anxious time.
III. Co-Presidents Report (E. Mark Lewis, Daisy Farina)
IV. Old Business:
- School photos arrived; 227 prepaid packages, more than last year; makeup/retake day in Jan.
- Great work with bake sales.
- Tree sale; estimate $1,000 this year, ($230 last year); great product, promoted better & earlier.
- Volunteers from New York Life for Science Night.
V. New Business
- Discussion/Planning for next year; public school=limited resources for academics/arts/sports needs
a. Events: Parent/Teacher social was new this year, summer opportunities fair, other…
b. Fundraising: desire to target for certain events, Exec Board helped fund student assembly…
- Some events self-funded, like play, e.g.
- Ideas: walk a thon, talent show; (each needs parents!)
c. J-Term: unique experiential learning; how to partner with school to keep it going/build?
- Parent & funding support critical; expectations should be presented from first visit to CSS.
- Ideas: Apollo Theater (inexpensive), Hispanic Society Museum (nearby), New Victory Theater
d. Parent Involvement: need to improve overall
- Communication: alternate AM/PM meetings?; embrace Spanish speakers; ideas?
- Directory: new push: Middle School data, develop intake form for beginning of school year
- Again, work with Admin; set expectations for incoming families, starting with first visit.
- Fundraising goals, awards?
- School application could ask parents how they’ll volunteer? How many hours? How to track?
- Parent appreciation night; certificates/awards?
- Class Parents? Start with next 6th grade and build
2. Upcoming Events:
a. Marjorie Eliot jazz show 12/20; three shows to accommodate all students
b. Teacher goody bag day 12/20; need parent helpers/donations
VI. Treasurer’s Report (Sean Stanton)
- Bank balance: $17,000 + Square account $1,500 + Paypal $650
- Exceeded last year’s PTA donations; still need more participation: 51 so far, 66 last year, 62 prev year.
- Doing well on bake sales, tree sales ($1K), pictures ($2K); estimated profits, after expenses paid.
VII. Adjournment: Meeting adjourned; Next meeting Tuesday, January 14th, 6 PM